Melissa practices in education and labour and employment law. She advises employers on a full range of human resources and labour relations matters, including:
- Collective agreement bargaining and interpretation;
- Employment contracts and policies;
- Grievance procedure and arbitrations;
- Human rights;
- Investigations, misconduct and discipline;
- Occupational health and safety;
- Workplace discrimination and violence; and
- Wrongful dismissal actions.
Melissa regularly appears before administrative tribunals and labour relations boards, including the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the Ontario Labour Relations Board and the Ontario College of Teachers.
For several years, Melissa was counsel (including acting general counsel) for one of the largest school boards in Canada where she worked extensively in the areas of governance, human resources, and labour and employment law.