BLG is Canada’s pre-eminent surety law firm, and is widely regarded as a one-stop shop for surety-related advice by bonding companies across Canada.
We offer our surety clients strategic advice in all aspects of their business, from underwriting issues, including obtaining indemnity and security agreements, through to claims handling and litigation. Our unparalleled, extensive national experience makes us industry leaders on all surety-related legal issues and developments in Canada. Our unmatched depth of knowledge and breadth of resources equips us to support our clients in managing the most complex surety claims.
BLG acts for virtually every surety company in Canada and is recognized by our clients and others in the industry as Canada’s surety and surety law experts. We are at the forefront of developing Canadian surety law to the benefit of our clients in a strategic and consistent manner.
We have national experience and can provide invaluable support and advice in all aspects of:
- Underwriting, bond forms and Indemnity Agreements;
- Drafting all forms of agreements dealing with financing, mitigation of damages, take-over and completion, including on P3 projects;
- All types of bond claims;
- Bad faith claims;
- Public, private and P3 projects;
- Lien and trust issues;
- Recovery of losses and expenses;
- Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication for sureties;
- Insolvency issues;
- Security issues;
- Inter-Creditor and Priority Agreements;
- Creditor disputes;
- Commercial surety issues; and
- Insurance coverage.
Given our wide-ranging experience dealing with all facets of surety law, our clients consider us their trusted advisors who provide day-to-day assistance with all legal issues and manage claims, as well as handle significant precedent-setting litigation. Our surety lawyers regularly draw on the wealth of expertise of colleagues in other practice groups across our national, full-service firm, including lawyers practising in insolvency, real estate, lending, securities, Indigenous law and general corporate commercial law, to regularly advise our surety clients and stay up to date with their business and legal needs.
Our surety clients include:
- AIG Insurance Company of Canada
- Allied World Surety
- Aviva Insurance Company of Canada
- Chubb Insurance Company of Canada
- CNA Surety Corporation
- Echelon General Insurance Company
- Euler Hermes
- Intact Financial Corporation
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Northbridge Insurance
- Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada
- Surety Association of Canada
- Travelers Insurance Company of Canada
- Trisura Guarantee Insurance Company
- Western Surety Company
- Zurich Insurance Company
Our surety and bonding practice is part of BLG’s nationally recognized award-winning Construction Law Group. BLG is ranked Band 1 in Canada for Construction Law in Chambers. Our lawyers are also involved with the Surety Association of Canada (SAC) and our lawyers are regularly represented on the Board of SAC, as well as on the Ontario and British Columbia Surety Committees. We are frequent speakers and participants at industry leading conferences and seminars, including the American Bar Association Surety sub-section, and our lawyers are also instructors of surety law courses and programs through universities and SAC.